Google

Monday, September 27, 2004

The Crazed Mother

This morning I'm running late due to the occasional backed up subway system in NYC and as usually I have to transfer from the L train to the 4/5/6 at Union Square. While waiting for the 4/5 I noticed that it's very backed up because of the train delays today when a train finally rolls into the station. Of course the train is packed and there are a large number of people waiting to hop onto the packed train when I notice this mother with a baby in a stroller at the back of the pack. Now you think she might wait for the next train so the train doors don't close on her baby's stroller as she tries to board but this mother was oddly dedicated to boarding the train.

Being at the back of the pack she pushed her stroller on to the train just as the doors closed to crunch the stroller. Being the good samaritan I grabbed the door and held it open thinking she might realize her error and decide not to board. To my surprise she pushed the stroller all the way in and was almost cut off by the doors from her baby. Fortunately, some others helped hold the doors in addition to me and she was able to get on board.

After this I was just pondering what the heck was wrong with this mother? Is it that important to squash your baby's stroller with the baby inside to board a train when another empty train is going to follow in two minutes? It's just bizarre sometimes the behavior you see on the subway. I just don't get it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home